Wednesday, May 7, 2014

This piece of descriptive writing reflects where I grew up as a child. This was my favorite place to be in the house, and although it may not be a room, it may as well be for that was where I lived. This descriptive piece will make you rethink what you appreciate and life rekindle old memories and will hopefully lead you to create new ones. 

Room Sweet Room

Gazing into the treetops, I sit in the brown, freshly painted chairs as I watch the squirrels hop from tree to tree. This area is a place of solitude, but is bustling with millions of different ecosystems doing their part for one whole environment. This is the place where I discovered gold, saved the Indians, and walked on the moon, and all as an 8 year old. I grew up in this backyard, however, recently we have grown apart. I don't have the time now to hang out with my microscopic friends, as school and family have caused to become distant. Writing this brings back nostalgia of watching my dog play as a puppy, sniffing every crook and cranny, taking in her new surroundings. The dog next door always greeting me at the fence as we rekindle our friendship that was lost and regained the day before. I have remodeled this backyard a million times, installing plants, moving rocks, creating a majestic garden. This garden filled with new fruits and vegetables and lined with our own personal grape orchard. The fruits of our labor becoming evident when picking time comes and we can enjoy the berries that we crave. My backyard is beautiful and I love being in it, however, it does have a dark side. Past the lawn and the blooming rose bushes, lies a downward sloping hill, as thick as the Amazon and as wild as the Great Plains of Africa. Down there lies rattlesnake families and bur plants that create a havoc in my dog's fur. Down there is where I choose no I demand no one to enter, for if you go down there, you will be lost forever. This backyard has a mind of its own. Changing with the seasons and either rewarding us with fruit and nice summer days, or destroying us with raccoons and turkeys eating away at our plants and causing us dismay. My backyard is where I grew up and where I hope to replace nostalgia with new memories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment