Wednesday, May 28, 2014

This vignette is about a real moment in my life. I was with my friend in Hawaii when we heard a tsunami alarm. It was crazy as we began freaking out, but nobody else cared. This assignment is meant to cover a meaningful moment in your life and I consider this one of the funniest memories now.

Tsunami Alert! Proceed to do nothing

Splash! As I fall into the water I can hear my friend laughing his head off as I fall off my surfboard. I get out of the shallow water that is lined with large rocks, pissed that I keep falling in, and clamber back onto the board. "Shut up Bobbie! Let's see you try!" I shriek at him.

I paddle back out to to him as I feel the cool ocean spray wash over my back. I am in Hawaii on the island of Maui at our house, and my friend and I have decided that we were going to undertake surfing. I had been able to surf successfully all day, but all of a sudden, it seems as though I have forgotten how to. Bobbie hasn't been able to get up on the surfboard at all, but now that he sees me fail, he finds it hilarious. 

When I get back to him I say, "Well, what are you waiting for?"

"I'm waiting for the perfect wave," says Bobbie.

As amateur surfers, we have no idea what the perfect wave is, but I chose not to respond and just lay down on my board and look up at the sky. I was about to fall asleep when we hear a loud and booming siren.

What the hell is that?" said Bobbie.

"I don't know, but let's paddle in."

As we made our way back to the shore, other people in the water began to follow suit. The siren had now become insanely loud and was painful to hear. Upon reaching the shore, it seemed as though everybody was going about their business as Bobbie and I were freaking out.

We walk up to a guy suntanning in the warm summer sun and ask him what is going on.

"Oh, it's just the tsunami alarm," said the man.

"Well why aren't we running away then?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" the man responded.

"There's a god-damn tsunami alarm, let's go!" yelled Bobbie.

"Don't you yell at me kid! Don't worry, it's just a test. They do it at the beginning of every month."

At that moment, the siren ended. 

"Oh," said Bobbie.

We then swam back out there, boards in hand, to go and surf the waves. Kowabunga dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment